Thursday, April 29, 2021

Malaysian Passport Renewal In London During COVID-19 in 2021

I normally fly home to renew my passport but Covid-19 as usual, ruined everything therefore I needed to renew my passport in London. My passport is expiring in July 2021. When I checked in January 2021, I was under the impression that it could wait but in mid April 2021, there was a notice on Jimlondon.net that apppointment is required for the passport renewal so off I went to the STO website and to my horror, the next available appointment was in mid August.

Anyway, I managed to get an earlier slot after multiple phone calls and email *special shout out to Jesmin who kindly squeezed me in to an earlier appointment* as I need a valid passport for work and Uni application.

It was a very stressful situation and I couldn't find much information on how to proceed so I hope that this post will help anyone who are in my situation in UK/ Europe.

1- Get the passport appointment made when your passport is expiring in 6 months time at STO.

2- Don't worry about online application. I wasted 6 hours of my life trying to upload the passport photo online. Multiple specification failure without any help in succeeding.

3- Gather your IC, expiring passport and UK visa with 1 photocopy of each document. Don't need any passport photo as they will snap it in the High Comm (advisable to wear black or dark coloured blouse/ shirt, I wore my black hoodie).

4- Head to High Comm on your appointment date, go to the basement and get a ticket number. They start the passport renewal process at 10am. *remember your facemask and the receptionist will check your temperature before allowing you in*.

5- After they call your ticket number (identical announcer as back home lol!), head to one of the 3 allocated counters. Submit your documents and photocopies, get your photo snapped, thumbprint obtained and signatures on paper then pay the passport renewal fee by cash. Mine was 41pounds. No card machine available.

6- The passport will be ready to be collected in 1-1.5 hours so after submitting, head out for a walk/ coffee and return in 1 hour time. Canteen that serves local food was sadly closed due to Covid lockdown restrictions. Try to spot the person who has the ticket number before you and stay near to the counter when you return because the counter officer will announce your name verbally according to the arrangement of being served without relying on your previous ticket number. The officer was obviously fasting as it is ramadhan time so the voice was not very loud.

My experience:

I arrived to High Comm at 0945, got served by 1030, spent 5-10min at the counter submitting documents etc, left for coffee, returned to High Comm by 1125 and collected my new passport by 1132am. Quick and slick. Quite pleased and proud with how efficient things went. Seriously grateful to Jesmin who kindly allowed me an earlier appointment. You are the best!

Take care and stay safe!!

No comments: