Thursday, November 26, 2009

Long time no blog!!

I am sorry for being MIA for quite some time. Reason being I am busy preparing for exam.

A lot of things happen but I shall not dwell in the past.

My semester 4 exam just finished this afternoon but next week my selective is starting. I chose literature where we have essays, thesis and drama performed based on Oedipus the King. Well, at least it's something different compared with the normal old human biology and stuff.

The sem5 just finished their exam and the sem2 got their result early this week. Tats did quite well =)

I actually miss doing a lot of things and there are some things that I have yet to carry out.
I miss
being with friends
hanging out with friends
band
motivation
being bossy
being a know-it-all
getting fantastic grades in every exam...

I want to
run barefoot on the beach
lie on grass and watch the clouds go by
dance like it's something natural to me
spent time reading fiction books without worrying that I'll forget any of my studies
do anything I want without thinking of the consequences
strength and courage to take the step that I've never taken
love and be loved
dive to the deepest ocean
fly up high in the sky
gain as much knowledge and preserve them well in my brain
eat and never grow fat
stay moderate all the time.....

My sister is the normal typical girls in this world where she'll dress up well, always wanting to go out, buy nice clothes, wear jeweleries and do all the girls stuff. I can't stand it because I don't do things like that and the fact that she's so different from me makes it harder to accept. Don't ask me why because this is what I feel. I can't stand her going through her wardrobe and telling me she don't have nice clothes when my mother ALWAYS buy new nice clothes for her. I can't stand it when she start asking me about cosmetic stuff (I only use it for stage performance). I can't stand it when she starts telling me stories about this boy or girl in her class. I can't stand the way she keeps on wanting to go out and hang out with her friends in the mall. For heaven sake, she's only 14!!!! ARGH!!!!!!

Well, I have to admit I am a boring homey good girl type where I don't like to dress up, I don't talk about boys, I don't dream or fantasise or plan outfits, I don't go out and hang out with friends in the mall (not when I'm 14 anyway!!), I don't nag my mother for not having nice enough clothes and I don't start wearing black rubber bands on my fingers because I don't have a proper ring (Actually she has a platinum gold ring for her birthday few years back but I don't know where she kept the ring). I guess this difference between my sister and I makes our relationship complicated and I am glad that I spend more than 12 hours in uni than at home =P

I guess studying in a relax, take-it-easy mode really improves the memory
OR
maybe having Jon around talking nonsense disturbing me studying and hence making me studying last minute helps me remember my notes better.
Anyhow, I am surprised that till now I can actually still remember what I've covered because usually I have this "syndrome" where I'll forget everything 1 week prior to the exam. I wonder if I'll face problems when I'm in my clinical years if this "syndrome" goes on.

I've borrowed 2 books from Jing-
If You Could See Me Now
A Place Called Here

I'm going to spend my 3 days off with these 2 books, a dose of The Sims, movies in my hard drive and 2 buffets. This month, I've had 4 buffets all together including this coming 2 buffets (1 for my sister's birthday which falls tomorrow and my brother's birthday on Sunday). I know, I'm such a hypocrite when it comes to food and weight!! Hehehe...

I guess this is all for now but I'll update soon =)

PS: Synopsis of Oedipus the King

Much of the myth of Oedipus takes place before the opening scene of the play. In his youth, Laius was a guest of King Pelops of Elis, and became the tutor of Chrysippus, youngest of the king's sons, in chariot racing. He then violated the sacred laws of hospitality by abducting and raping Chrysippus. This cast a doom over him and over his descendants.

The protagonist of the tragedy is the son of King Laius and Queen Jocasta of Thebes. After Laius learns from an oracle that "he is doomed/To perish by the hand of his own son," he binds tightly together with a pin the feet of the infant Oedipus and orders Jocasta to kill the infant. Hesitant to do so, she demands a servant to commit the act for her. Instead, the servant abandons the baby in the fields, leaving the baby's fate to the gods. A shepherd rescues the infant and names him Oedipus (or "swollen feet"). Intending to raise the baby himself, but not possessing of the means to do so, the shepherd gives it to a fellow shepherd from a distant land, who spends the summers sharing pastureland with his flocks. The second shepherd carries the baby with him to Corinth, where Oedipus is taken in and raised in the court of the childless King Polybus of Corinth as if he were his own.

As a young man in Corinth, Oedipus hears a rumour that he is not the biological son of Polybus and his wife Merope. When Oedipus calls them out on this, they deny it, but, still suspicious, he asks the Delphic Oracle who his parents really are. The Oracle seems to ignore this question, telling him instead that he is destined to "Mate with [his] own mother, and shed/With [his] own hands the blood of [his] own sire." Desperate to avoid his foretold fate, Oedipus leaves Corinth in the belief that Polybus and Merope are indeed his true parents and that, once away from them, he will never harm them.

On the road to Thebes, he meets Laius, his true father. Unaware of each other's identities, they quarrel over whose chariot has right-of-way. King Laius moves to strike the insolent youth with his sceptre, but Oedipus throws him down from the chariot and kills him, thus fulfilling part of the oracle's prophecy. Shortly after, he solves the riddle of the Sphinx, which has baffled many a diviner: "What is the creature that walks on four legs in the morning, two legs at noon, and three in the evening?"

To this Oedipus replies, "Man" (who crawls on all fours as an infant, walks upright later, and needs a walking stick in old age), and the distraught Sphinx throws herself off the cliffside. Oedipus's reward for freeing the kingdom of Thebes from her curse is the kingship and the hand of Queen Dowager Jocasta, his biological mother. The prophecy is thus fulfilled, although none of the main characters know it.

No comments: