Saturday, June 25, 2011

I SCRUBBED IN!!!

Yesterday was my last day for GI Surgery and I ended it with a bang!!

Morning, the surgeon tutor didn't ask me a lot of questions. He targeted another local because most of the questions were their history. I know, funny that we are having tutorials on surgical stuff, he went and talked about the British PM. Well, it was related coz it was bout him having a cholecystectomy and the complication he went through. The funny part was when he asked the locals bout this PM, he looked at me and say "ah, you won't know this" LOL!!!!

Then went for ward round and got to know one of the registra is doing a subtotal colectomy (removal of large colon) so I was 'CAN I TAG YOU?!!'. Well I was kinda close to him and he was kinda funny and friendly so I was not having the speak-formally-to-him attitude. LOL

Anyway, went to theater and kinda got lost because he said it was either theater 9 or 12 and I didn't see him in any of the 2! So I was contemplating whether to leave and go back wards or stay then I saw one of the other registra who is from my ward so I quickly asked him and he say he's heading to it now so I followed.

There is this other girl who is in ward 32 but don't know why in MY Ward 31 and there she was in the theater. Stood beside her and then the registra asked "I need a medical student to scrub in" so I just went quickly and just realised I don't know the real procedure to scrub in so I just followed the girl who came in later blindly LOL..

Anyway, the surgeon came in and he was like 'ah, 2 medical student scrubbing in?' OK, You (me) stand here (in between the patient's legs) and you (that girl) beside the registra. 'Jene, Come closer, touch the patient!!' said the surgeon and I was really REALLY close!! So I got to see everything done in front of me!!!!! I saw how the registra cut the layers of skin and fats and finally saw the small intestine peristalsis-ing and then they started searching for the large colon and......

Just to cut the long story short, I got to push the small intestines to one side while they searched for the splenic flexure, then retract the patient's skin while they searched for the rectum and finally hold the resected large colon. It was squishy and filled with feces (can feel like got mass in it and can see it was dark colour through the mucosa of the large colon). It was just the way to end my GI Surgery block!

Went into the theater room dry and clean and after the surgery, wet and red with blood LOL!!!

Next went for tutorials (late for 1 hour LOL) and did my last IV Cannula before I left.
(just found out that I left my notebook (full with notes) and my OHCM at the ward. Hope it won't get lost!!)

Going to move to my new house in another 4 hours and I won't have internet for the next 4-5 weeks =(

So byeeeee.....

No comments: