Wednesday, June 15, 2011

So far...updates

This is my 2nd week of my 1st block. Last week I was in Nephrology department and this week I'm in GI Surgery ward.

Nephrology ward was great because Dr. Millar was so nice and so eager to teach and he's so funny and I miss him =(

GI Surgery ward is OK thanks to the FY1 (houseman) that are ex-IMUians and whom I know after the senior junior party. Justine (another J senior LOL!) is in my ward and Fabian is in the next ward so he occasionally come over and talk to us.

Anyway, I've been helping Justine with her work aka I was acting like a FY1. Clerk patient, do examination, write report then take blood and do ECG. All on my own mind you!!

So far, yesterday (1st day in this ward) I saw 3 patients and took their blood successfully. ALL 3 TIMES on my FIRST DAY on MY OWN!!! So proud =)

Luckily I read thru my ECG before going to the hospital so when I first arrived at the ward and after putting my bag down, Justine saw me and she went "you wanna do ECG??" I went "of course! But I've never done it though" So she talked me thru at the residents room and I pushed the ECG cart to the patient's bed and started my day =)

***************************************************

Now under stress during tutorials because this surgeon who gives the tutorial likes to ask me question after I kinda managed to answer a question the locals couldn't on our 1st day. After I answered that question, he went ''did you do your basic science in M'sia?'
Later, a senior told me he likes IMU students because we know more and since then, any difficult questions, he'll point to me and ask me!!

This morning, one of his powerpoint slides mentioned cholangiocarcinoma and he pointed to me (again) and ask me what is it. This was not stressful but he added 'IF YOU CAN'T ANSWER, I WILL BE SO DISAPPOINTED!!'
Omg.....I was stunned and err...STRESS!!!!!

But so far, everything is fine =)
Saw 2 surgeries today - fundoplication and hiatus hernia repair & adrenalectomy (both done laparoscopically).

No comments: