Wednesday, August 10, 2011

worked for 14.5 hours

Reached Maternity Hospital at 7.30am. I was assigned for theater today, so off I went and changed to greens/ scrubs and went to the theater.

Basically, I watched 3 elective Caesarean Section and 1 emergency C-section, scrubbed in for the last 3 surgery and delivered/ pulled out the placenta twice and for the last surgery, I was allowed to do the Aberdeen knot LOL!! Thanks to the great surgeon =)

The midwives and nurses were so nice to me too =)
I heard horror stories about them from my friend yesterday who was assigned to theater. Luckily they were nice to me.

Theater list finished by 6.30pm and I didn't feel like going home just yet so I popped into a room after the surgeon told me one of the patient is fully dilated. I thought it was gonna be fast since she is fully dilated but oh boy, I was so wrong. She finally start to push at 8.15pm and the baby was out only at 9.10pm! Placenta out at 9.20pm and helped the midwife around and by 10pm, I realised I really need to leave so off I went home.

Stood from 7.30am till 10pm, no lunch, no dinner. I am exhausted.
But very productive day =)

2 comments:

Esther said...

OMG THAT'S REALLY COOL...hardly there's a chance for us to deliver provided we've spent a significant amount of time in the labour room. i guess in the next sem, we'd be allowed to scrub in and stuff.

oh yeah, there was one time when i was doing my weekend call and i thought the lady would deliver cos she was already pushing at 9.15pm... she ended up delivering with the help of forceps at 10 ish.. it took awhile before the placenta was out.. by the time it ended, it was 11 sthg at night. there were a lot of deliveries that day. i stayed back to help with CTG and stuff but not deliver :/

a few people were given such opportunities though... and i stayed in the hosp that day.. haha.. 7.30am to 10pm is really really really long... please don't skip meals... eat well.. :)

jene said...

Hahaha, it was just pure luck I guess because I have friends who did not watch any birth even though after going through the 12 hours shift.

I was really lucky to finish my theater shift and heard that this girl was fully dilated. This was at 6 and she finally deliver at 9ish...so I was really lucky to have to just wait for 3 hours hehe...

I am eating well, don't worry...how are you???