Monday, September 1, 2014

Amazing day =)

Today has been amazing.

Yesterday was crap.

So lets talk about yesterday. I felt crap because I have been working everyday since early August and only had 2 weekends off. Then on the weekend, I have to cover CCU, Cardiology ward, Renal ward and other wards that have cardio or renal patients. Running all around hospital is not fun. Other than that, I helped the junior file and chased all 30 pts notes and bloods. Never swore and grumble that much in my head before.

So today my day started with the notorious consultant being alright with me and he even signed my form that he didn't need to sign (I needed to get my educational sup to sign for me but he is off). Then I had a crash bleep, to run to A+E resus. A guy had cardiac arrest at home and is being flew over by the chopper. As as soon as he arrived, we were all over him, and he was unwell, really unwell. I did a cannula and bloods then ABG on him. In emergency situation, I did not realise that I was bleeding. It was when I saw my glove was stained with blood, inside out that I realise that I scratch myself with the needle and I think, stab myself at my finger prior to the ABG.

I helped the ITU consultant who's also a surgeon prepare arterial line and central line stuff and after the whole ordeal, he approached me and thanked me personally for helping. Wow.

Next, I signed my first ever DNACPR. One of my favourite pt is dying. It pained me to see the family members crying around him and to see him looking off colours =(

Then the nurses also told one of the anaesthetist that although they don't say it, I am very good (*shy*)
It is difficult to please the nurses and reg at the same time but I guess I found the right way.

Officially finish at 5pm but only left at 6pm, typical, nothing new. I have been leaving the hosp at least one hour late. Anyway, left hosp feeling great because the sun was shinning and it was warm. It has been raining and dark when I left hosp for the past few weeks.

Overall, it was a good end to my August day shifts, next, I'm only working 8 nights in Sept. Then back to working almost everyday (again) in Oct.

No comments: