Friday, July 31, 2009

09' Band Concert

My band is having their 3rd concert this Saturday (1/8/09) and I have been going back to help out a bit.

I have only one word to describe

DISAPPOINTING!!!

Seriously, from the leadership and management skills to their performance, it was utterly down right very saddening.

I ask them the most basic question - "How many members are there in the band" and all the answer I got was "I don't know".

I ask the president anything and all I get was, "wait, I'll go ask the teacher". Shouldn't the President be a know-it-all when it come to band stuff??

Disappointed. Very Disappointed.

Their playing was ok. If I can criticize, the post would be LOOOOONG but heck it, even my band tutor who got so mad threw the conductor book on the floor and shouted at them. Honestly, this is my 1st time seeing him as mad as this.

Apparently, this is not really a concert but just a performance to show the parents and school on their accomplishment, on how's their progression and standard. Hence it's not really a real concert. Besides, the retirement ceremony will be held after the performance.

Trumpet section. It's my year all over again. Only one loud while the others are so soft that when that loud one is not around, no trumpet sound can be heard. Mind you, during my year there was only about 5 trumpeters and now there's almost 10!!! DOUBLE yet their sound...haih

The songs they are playing are songs that have climax, anticlimax and a story behind it such as Free World Fantasy, written by Jacob De Haan about the world without war (it was written during the German war) and Phantom of the Opera. I have been listening to the Phantom of the Opera songs (I have the CD) so I know where and when and how I should feel but they just can't give me that feeling. All thanks to the trumpet section because everytime they join, they should be loud to bring out that climax but everytime they play, they are just so soft that the feeling build by the other section just evaporated. WASTED EFFORT!!!! Not forgetting clarinet section that are just too loud and noisy in Loch Lomond. Ish!!

Gah, I just hope that they will be no other school band members watching and I just hope that they won't embarrass themselves. I guess this would be my last year going back helping the band since my juniors are now form 5 and leaving the band. Boohoo!!! (Ig I still go back, I'll be a stranger to the whole band and they might question me being there.)

I envy this retiring batch because they have juniors to perform for them. The juniors will be singing a song dedicated to the seniors and honestly if I were the seniors sitting in front of them, I will definitely cry because it's just so touching. It's like your hardwork is appreciated and you can really leave the band.

My retirement ceremony was a very simple one. Yes, there was a concert held but this concert was our 1st concert and we did not have that "goodbye band, I am retiring" kinda feeling. AH HA!! Now I know why I always go back band, because I don't have the feeling of retired!!! Hahaha, crap!! LOL

Ok, enough boring you guys.

Anyway, if you have the time please do come and join me in critisizing them. The ticket is just RM5, 1/8/09 at 8pm at my school hall. =)

PS: Jo Ann, I've asked them to contact all the seniors and already emphasized your name so if they didn't contact you, then you'll know what I mean when I say disappointed with their leadership and management skills.

No comments: