Saturday, October 16, 2010

About splurging on books and China relatives

Woke up and went for ballet class lazily. Came home and went to 1 Utama because mom is meeting her friends so my sis and I went and watched
.
This movie is well, OK? Didn't have any expectation so just enjoyed it. But I'm kinda into Justin Long now =P

Next, went to Amcorp Mall's Bookxcess for
1.

2. book cover of   Cat O' Nine Tales   by  Jeffrey Archer

3. book cover of   The Matchbreaker   by  Chris Manby

4.book cover of   Marrying for Money   by  Chris Manby

5.book cover of   Do Not Disturb   by  Tilly Bagshawe

6.

7.A Good Hanging by Ian Rankin

8. The Scarlet Letter

Yup, and I spent RM133 on them and I got a 3 years membership card and a free book thong(Huh? It's like a book mark but made out of strings and ribbons)! Crazy right? I know. Impulse buying? But it's not really impulse since I actually sent an email and asked them to reserve the books for me. I'm such a bookacholic!!

After getting my books, we went to a Dato Liu's place. Apparently he is the Ti Ratana Welfare Society Kuala Lumpur's President/ Chairman. Wow right? His house is as big as Jacqueline's place (maybe smaller before her's underwent renovation) but Jacq's place is definitely bigger and nicer. His place was err, I don't know, I don't feel hommy. According to my mom, he's my cousin.

The left guy with the open hand is him.

Anyway, my main point of blogging is about my relatives from China. I met them on Thursday night for dinner and after that went to my uncle's place (where they're staying) for fruits (a cousin sells fruits). There was 7 of them here in Malaysia and and all are my, well, I'm confused, well, they're uncles and aunts and cousins and my cousin's children.

Anyway, that night I didn't get the chance to actually talk to all of them but I can tell you one thing. They definitely look like us, Malaysians. They did not look like those typical beady (sepet) eyes with pink cheeks and they speak hakka just like my mom's side. When one of the uncle knew that I can't speak Hakka, he was nice enough to speak to me in Mandarin (they call it bu3 tong1 hua4) and his Mandarin was a little difficult to understand. Either it's the intonation's problem or my Mandarin sucks.

So today, I had a nice chat with them and got to know the youngest among that 7 relatives- a 23 years old cousin's daughter. She's pretty and she just finished her degree in English so she could speak English albeit a little broken. Her Mandarin is VERY understandable!! I could speak to her fluently and well, we just felt like a family =)

Oh ya, before I forget, Datuk Liu has a huge family. He has 14 (including him) brothers and sisters!!!! 14 siblings!!! So by 7pm, most of that 14 siblings and their family arrived and hence we had like a HUGE family reunion!! Found another younger generation girl among that crowd and she's a Malay mix Chinese CBN form 4 girl. So my 23 years old China relative, this 16 years old "Chinlay", my 15 years old sis (who just smiled and listened and acted like her mouth has gold) and me chatting away with a lot of awkward and non awkward pauses in between.

I'm dead tired and I got to wrap my books so I'll call it a day now. Will continue soon and hopefully can get some pictures of (or from) them to put here.

Envy me? Go ask your parents if they can somehow contact your relatives at China =P

No comments: