Saturday, October 30, 2010

farewell Peter

Peter is the first staff from ACTS that I know and comfortable with at ACTS, the place I am doing my volunteering work now. He's a refugee from Myanmar and he's the coordinator at ACTS.

Finally, his application to go to a country where they accept refugees was approved and he's going to Tennessee on 2nd Nov. Malaysia DO NOT recognise refugees here and hence they are considered as illegal immigrants. The police and Rela staffs treat them badly and even abuses them! Want to hear true stories, just ask me.

He actually organised a dinner at Subang 2 weeks ago but I was busy with my China relatives so could not attend hence he organised another lunch at ACTS where it was more convenient for all the doctors and volunteers. He even made me promise that I'll appear when he called to invite me again LOL.

So I attended the lunch and I was all alone as the other volunteers are relatives of the founder of ACTS while other non-volunteers were his church friends. I didn't know anyone besides Peter and the ACTS staff which I am not very close to and seriously considered leaving as fast as I can. Thank goodness I kept myself busy by watching Astro's AXN while waiting for the other guests to arrive =P

After waiting for an hour and Peter introducing me to all the people, they gathered and said grace. Before that, Rosemary (the founder) gave a short speech on how much Peter had helped them (Peter teared and sobbed) and how thankful they are and how much we'll miss him then she asked him if he wants to say anything and

Peter- Ya, I want to thank you...(paused)...(eyes tearing)....
Rosemary- Peter, it's ok. We know you have mixed feelings. We know that you are happy to go but very sad to leave us.
Peter- Ya, my feelings (point to his heart) are mixed and so I want to....paused (teared)...I want to really thank you all...(paused)...thank y...(cried really sadly with sounds like hngh hngh....)

It was a really sad scene and most of the guests cried too. I teared a bit and was touched as how Peter really loves everyone here with all his heart and is really really sad to leave us. This scene is something I used to watch it in TV, not something I expect to experience it live. It was so touching.

Lunch was delicious. With satay, mihun, yam cake, mamak fried rice, ayamas chicken, pork, tomyam salad made by one of the staff. The food that they ordered are all from Peter's favourite restaurant =)

During lunch and after lunch, I was surprised that I could actually hold a conversation with complete strangers. First was with the head doctor of ACTS, then with another doctor who was 70 years old! and with another ACTS staff who is from Sabah. I actually talked to each stranger turn friend for one solid hour each. Amazing right?! I was shocked too!!

Mom picked me up after spending 4.5 hours there then we went to Daorae and was so satisfied with their service again. They never fail to serve you right and I love their ever-flowing side dishes =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is very good of you to do voluntary work.

{I stumbled across your blog on the net, and am glad to come across a volunteer.)

Keep it up.