Friday, May 23, 2008

males breastfeed??!!

Well, when you look at the word MI, you might be thinking of Mission Impossible but now, I'll be thinking of myocardial infarction. GI as GI Joe?? Nah, it's gastrointestinal. How about TV? Television?? To me its tidal volume. Let's try VIP. Very important person? Very idiotic person/pig? Well, its vasoactive intestinal peptide to me now. Ya, trying real hard to get all these terms into my small pea brain.

Back to the title--Male breastfeed?? Well, as you know (if you do remember) that prolactin stimulates milk production. When the female get pregnant, prolactin, an endocrine hormone will be secreted from the anterior pituitary gland and it will enhance milk production. Well, males also have prolactin secreted into their bloodstream all the time. Hence, MALE CAN PRODUCE MILK FOR BREASTFEEDING if we increase the prolactin production in them. Some of the guys in our batch say they don't mind because it is a noble thing to do. But when I asked the guy sitting next to me if he will breastfeed, he answered me back in an angry tone NO!!

You see, the world we live in is dominated by males and hence to them getting pregnant, doing house chores and well, breastfeeding is a no-no task to them. The guy sitting beside me added that males will not breastfeed (ever) because God created man that way. He further explained his point--our breasts are small and not enlarged and our prolactin production is low, there has to be a reason behind it so why do you want to change God's creation? Wow, I was not in the mood to debate so I left the topic there and then. Honestly he has a point but he doesn't need to feel that strongly against it right?

Library is a good place to study but (argh!!) it's now under a little construction. Constructor/ table builder are making lots of noise in the library by polishing the soon-to-be-study-table, hammering the nails into them, screwing the tables and so on. The sound from the machine are irritating and annoying and disturbing our concentration. Take an example ~~ prolactin is secreted by anterior 'eeeeeeeeeeeeee' gland. It enhances the 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeee' production. Wow, all the key words are now replaced by that annoying machinery noise!!! I guess during exam I'll write out 'eeeeee' for the lecturers to fail me.

No comments: