Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Being religious

Religion can turn into a very sensitive topic in Malaysia. One wrong word can lead many misinterpretation and I might be put into jail by the ISA. However, this topic is quite interesting and can let me decide how you see things in life or decide whether you are an open person or narrow-minded person.

Since form 3, I have a handful of friends who confessed to me that they have converted their religion without their parents knowing it. Some even went through baptism (I just know that it some sort of ceremony where they dip people in holy water) but still their parents were ignorant of it. Instead of confessing to their parents in the proper way, they chose me to be their witness that they have converted without their parent's consent. But when they are braved enough to announce their decision, they end up arguing with the people that put food in their mouth. (I only have friends converting to Christianity or Buddhism and not Islam).

I have no rejection in their decision of converting but somehow I feel it is wrong to convert without their parent's knowledge. No matter what happens, parents are those that put in effort to make you grow up in the best environment, people that sacrifice their entire life to ensure you fit in the society, people that cherish and raised you up, people that give life to you. Bottom line, they are your PARENTS!! Do not convert behind their backs, talk to them, ask for their opinion, discuss and most importantly ask for their permission first.

I have told many of my friends when they faced such situation, do not regret the decision you made that you felt was the best at that time. Once you are in the situation, adapt and find solution to solve the problems that surfaced. Do not sweep it under the carpet and ignore it as long as you can. If you regret it now, what you want to do about it?? Convert back to your original religion? Then when you hear some other incitement, you change again? Then when will you ever settle down with the religion you want??

In my opinion, people convert because they do not understand the essence of the religion they were born in. What is Buddhism?? It is not a religion, it is a way of life, it is the teachings of the Buddha. What is Christianity?? It is a religion centered on the life and teachings of Jesus. What is Islam?? It is a religion originating from the teachings of Nabi Muhammad where He received the knowledge from Allah. Every religion to me is the same because their main teaching is do good. Whether you are a Buddhist, Christian or Muslim, your main aim is to do more good to others and not the negative side like steal or kill.

When my mother, brother and I talked about this topic during dinner, I find that people are prejudice of other religion. I'm sure this is not alien to you when you hear another people condemning other religion but I honestly feel it does not need to be like this. Its the way you think, the way you control your mind!! This is the reason why so many wars erupted just because of a small misunderstanding. Its not worth dying without a real reason. So many people died because their leader did not try to understand or tolerate other leader's belief. For those who studied Sejarah (form4) in secondary school, you can recall one of the war that started because 2 people from different religion had a argument with one killing the other. This war continued for many many years!! I was very interested in those few topics and can answer almost all the question about Islam that was written in the text book.

I have a Muslim friend who wanted a girlfriend badly. He had one before but things did not work out. When I started to know him, he was sweet and caring and you know, guys. Then he started to shower me with sweet talks and stuff like that. One day, he asked me if a Chinese can have a Muslim guy as boyfriend. I was honestly oblivious to his intention but I do have many couple friends that are of different religion and are happy together. So, I answered him truthfully and then a lot of drama started. But after a while, he finally dared to ask the question but being someone who have a NO-MARRIED-LIFE set of mind, my answer was obvious. After the "incident", we were not as close as before but remain as close friends (I mean, he treats me as a listener of his problems). Then recently he confessed he found The-One and few days back he introduced her to me through MSN (web is so convenient). Yup, she isn't Muslim and she accepted him and the funny part was, I knew her long time ago but was never close (just a hi-bye friend).

See, if you tolerate and "love" your religion, things still can work out. So stop being negative and one sided when it comes to religion. Leaders of big powerful country, OPEN YOUR MIND AND READ OUR FORM 4 SEJARAH TEXT BOOK AND STOP STARTING WARS IN OTHER MUSLIM COUNTRY!!! Innocent people are dying and suffering because of your greed, ignorance, and stupidity!!! Enlighten yourself already...

ps: This post is not directed to anyone. so don't perasan

No comments: