Friday, February 15, 2008

market

This morning, my mother managed to talk me into following her to the market. It has been ages since I went to the market. Last time, I used to follow my kakak every morning. But when I was in form 3, I didn't have the chance. Form 3 onwards, we were all in the morning session, Saturday I have band practice and Sunday attend Sunday class at Brickfields temple. So, I never stepped into that market since 2003. Wow, it has been 5 years!!

The market hasn't changed much. The sellers are the same, of course there were new faces. Things are still at the same place-clothes in front with fruits sellers, fish sellers are in the middle, chicken stalls are at the other row, far left at one corner is the pork stalls and vegetables stalls are every where. Suddenly I remembered once I was fascinated with a fish and I asked mother whether the fish was sick.

me~ Ma, look at this poor fish.
ma~ No la, it isn't sick. Why do you think so?
me~ Because it has chicken pox.
ma~ Ha ha ha, it's on their scales, and its not chicken pox dear.

Then there was this once I was paying so much attention at a type of vegetable when I turned to ask my mother what vegetable was it, my mother was no where to be found. I was so scared and what would a 6 years old kid do when they know they are lost in a market fool of stranger? Run? Scream? Cry? Faint? Go searching? Steal things? Keep quiet and stand still? Yup, I stood still and was so quiet. Honestly I think I was scared till I couldn't move. But in the end, my mother realised her dear dumb daughter was lost and retrace her journey and alas, found her dumbstruck looking so terrified.

When I followed my kakak to the market, we'll definitely meet up with her friends and have breakfast together at the "roti canai stall". Our usual would be "roti telur" and "teh tarik". By the time I finish my breakfast, I'll be so full and couldn't walk. End up my kakak took all the food she bought in both hands and dragged me home. We walked to the market and when we got a bicycle, she cycle while I enjoy the wind. Gosh. I miss her a lot.

I gradually hate going to the market because of the smell, heat and people. I am a person who does not like to be in a crowded place, especially when it is crowded with people I do not know. The smell of the drain, food, meat, raw food and living animals just make my nose crinkled up and I always got to hold my breath when passing through smell that are foul to me. Usually by 8.30am, the sun is up and the sun rays project heat that I eventually learn to love (band life rocks!!!). When you are under the sun, the sun rays will penetrate your epidermis and stimulates sweat production (My Biology really sucks now). When you sweat, you feel sticky and uncomfortable. Next, temper will flair and kakak will be angry and will punish me when reach home.

When I visit the market, you can all sort of people and mind you my eyes will be searching. Not searching for food to buy but people that I know. For pasar malam, I usually count people that I know and if it's above 20, I'll be positive that the rest of my day will end in a happy note(crazy le). Anyway, other than searching for food that kakak need, I also would look out for things I need. Others collect stamp while I collect stickers and erasers. Stickers might be common but erasers that I collect have different shapes and colours. I have about 200 of them in my cupboard now. Interested in trading? So when I see certain stickers that are of my liking and erasers that are weird, I'll definitely pester kakak to buy and I'll pay back. Memories are sweet.

Foods that are sold in this market that I visit is way higher than Kepong Baru's market. I think the sellers here think that people who stay in my area are rich or they are just greedy. But somehow people who shifted away to places like Damansara or Kiaramas still come back here to do their marketing. They claim it's cheaper and easier to buy their groceries. Ya, there's also this old grandma that is very pitiful. She collects cardboard and sometimes sells fruits. What is so pitiful is, her body is bent to 90 degrees and she works everyday and 24 hours. Whether it rains or shines!! When she is tired, she just sit at some place and just doze off. Sometimes she doesn't even wear a slipper. Apparently she has 3 sons and they are quite wealthy, but she refuses to stay with them because she wants to work. How true is this, I am not sure. I salute her, because she never begs but work for her money.

People are so lucky in their life but they never appreciate. Outside, people are working their butt off but there are people that are complaining the house not comfortable enough. People working under the hot scorching sun and cold rain, did not even voiced out their hardship while those sitting in the office with air cond 24/7 complaining they have not enough money for don't know what brand's lipstick or feels that life is unfair to them.

If I ever have the chance, I'll kill these useless lucky people.
Parliament is dissolved, and there's news about a riot coming soon, everybody be careful ya.
Sorry, I do not have the mood to answer phone calls. Please forgive me.
Wow, the sky is full of lithium, calcium. sodium, potassium, barium and booming sound. Long live fireworks!!

Happy Chinese New Year Hokkien People!!!

No comments: