Thursday, June 24, 2010

Agora

I was watching

Last night or this morning (12am) and this movie just suddenly made me feel so angry of religion.

Before I go burn things up, let me warn you that this might be a little sensitive to some people so to you who might get offended, I advice you to close this page and go watch Carebears.

This movie is about atheist Hypatia of Alexandria, a female mathematician, philosopher and astronomer in 4th century CE Roman Egypt who investigates the flaws of the geocentric Ptolemaic system and the heliocentric model that challenges it. The story uses historical fiction to highlight the relationship between religion and science amidst the decline of Greco-Roman polytheism and the Christianization of the Roman empire.

*************************
Why am I angry?? Because I always believe and still believe that religion is all about doing good BUT the teachings we are receiving now has gone through a lot of changes and violence. I always wonder how people can just accept the people who says that they receives words from God and was asked to spread the religion. I mean, what prove do you have?? When it comes to religion, it's all about believing and having faith and all but I don't really like accepting things without asking WHY, WHAT, WHO, WHEN, HOW. So did Hypatia. Let me quote her "Synesius, you don't question what you believe, or cannot. I must." That's why she refused to accept Christianity.

Let me touch a little about the literature/books that religion used and claimed that the words in the books are words of God. To my knowledge, men was the creator of paper and don't let me start with the history of paper making. Anyway, my point here is man can be the "God" and write (or add words) in the book and claimed that the God asked them to do this and that.

Take this movie for an example. My fellow friends who are Christians please do not bombard me and get offended by my lack of knowledge of your bible but is it true that women are second class? Is it stated?? I am just referring to the movie so it might be fictional so don't blame me. Anyway, there was this part where the leader of Christian read out loud from the bible that women are supposed to be quiet and not voice out their opinions and stuff. The reason he read those sentences was because he didn't like Hypatia talking and voicing out her opinions during the government meeting (the reason she can do so is because the prefect/head of government in the movie was her student and loves her). So when I watched that part, it felt that many religious war are due to misinterpretation or twisting of the words for their own benefit. It annoys me.

Evidence based medicine. The words are self explanatory. We should always have evidence or facts that can justify our actions. But religion is very subjective. What I think is right might be wrong and what I think is wrong might be right and we can't have prove when it comes to religion since it's all about faith and beliefs. Most of the causes of religious wars are what? Death of a fellow brother, killed by another person with different religion? From the limited knowledge of history learned in high school, most of these wars are due to that reasons and maybe other small reasons to cover up the real excuse. And so, I am saddened by the fact that a lot of religion is now famous because of all the violence they created.

OK, I am tired...

Go watch this movie!!

4 comments:

Steven said...

hey, i was just having an interesting and engaging discussion on religion from few days ago on one of my facebook status updates! haha.
why don't you go and make your contribution to the thread? i'm planning to post it on my blog one day :D
oh, did i mention i have a new blog?

jene said...

Oh is it?? I'll check it out =)

No Steven, you did not give me your new blog's add *sob sob*...

Quick, sent me the link...at fb also can =)

Anonymous said...

To answer your question about women and their second class status in the Bible - the early Christians believed in equality, women preached and there is archaeological evidence that women even achieved the role of Bishop. However, like any organization that accrues power to itself, it became corrupt and corrupt men rose to power. As you mentioned, men wrote the Bible and did so for their own purposes. The texts chosen for the Bible are among thousands that were under consideration.

As to the movie, the Christian response has been a bit hyperbolic, since Amenabar with his choice of costume and casting, is saying "black-shirted, bearded, middle-eastern fanatics are destroying civilization." He also distorted some history in service to his art (neither Hypatia nor the Library ended that way and Synesius wasn't a jerk), but that's what artists do. I don't go to the movies for history. For people who want to know more about the historical Hypatia, I highly recommend a very readable biography "Hypatia of Alexandria" by Maria Dzielska (Harvard University Press, 1995). I also have a series of posts on the historical events and characters in the film at my blog (http://faithljustice.wordpress.com) - not a movie review, just a "reel vs. real" discussion.

jene said...

Hey, thanks for the comment. Oh wow...interesting blog you have!!
Thanks =)