Sunday, March 23, 2008

Charity Home Visit

Reached campus by 8.30am. I actually wanted to reach later since my DEAR LEADER told us that it'll start by 9am. When I arrived at the atrium, everyone was there and they were wearing white T-shirts and jeans and sport shoes!!! Argh!! I was wearing formal clothes!! Thanks to my DEAR LEADER who is so good in giving instructions!! Anyway, the briefing started at 8am and yes, I was LATE!!

There were 3 groups of kids each from PAKK (Pusat Activiti Kanak-kanak) , Ti-Ratana and Pusat Sharlow. Kids from Ti-Ratana and Pusat Sharlow are orphans while those from PAKK were children of unfortunate people who indulged in drugs and prostitution. So bottom line is, these children are innocently born into this unfair world in an unfair situation.

Anyway, these children arrived at 9am and few groups including mine was assigned to be their guardians. Each kid 1 guardian. When my name was called, I got a small kid named Zeti (4 years old)who was holding on to her sister like as if when she let go, she'll die. Hence I agreed to take 2 and managed to persuade my friend to help me. Later, another sister came to the older sister and cling on to her like Zeti. Thus, my "kid"s are Zeliah (9), Tasha (5) and Zeti (4).

Let me summarise the whole day's activity then my feelings and thoughts ok? After getting our kid, we had an origami session folding a bird, then danced for a while then we were given papers and stuff to decorate the kids into their favourite characters then food!! After food, they went to the lecture hall and watch Ratatouille while we had our lunch. Then colouring and rocket making session, tea time, prize giving and sayonara~~

When the kids were lining up to get us as their guardian, I honestly was scared. They looked intimidating and they were small and fragile looking. I was afraid I'll break them or something. My this "fear" was contagious and as time passed, people around me started to have the same feeling. Anyway after getting my kids, we sat down and introduced each other. The 2 younger sisters were not speaking but at least they gave me response because when my another friend tried to talk to them, they practically ignored her (LOL).

OK, I never had origami lessons but I did buy a few books and learned to transform square papers into animal looking shapes. BUT, I never learn to fold a bird!! When one of the senior who was teaching in front and struggling to hold the microphone while folding, I was at the back with my kids struggling to follow and keep up. At last, we were lost and was rescued by a "handsome knight" **cough** who accused me of not having a childhood. By the way, that 2 younger sisters did not want to join in the mess but was happily asking me to help them open sweets wrapper.

For the character making session, I would like to emphasise again I AM NOT CREATIVE and I ALWAYS GET C FOR ARTS!! Anyway, we tried our best to make Zeliah's outfit-Shizuka (from Doeremon). We were having trouble at first because she couldn't make up her mind and when she wants to be Shizuka, we were having problem drawing that face. Last resort, Google!! I went to the guy who was controlling the music and asked for a google spot. Cut the story short, Zeliah was happy with her outfit and she was getting more and more excited.

Food time was the turning point. All 3 kids were happily lining up getting their food which consist of fried mee hoon, fried rice, nougat, sausages, jellies and Domino pizza!! We acting as parents just stood beside them and watched them eat, pitiful ain't it. Now, why turning point? Tasha began to show temper, refused to eat and cried for no reason!! We including Zeliah trued to ask what was the problem but nothing came out from her mouth but "aaaaaahhhh". In the end, Zeliah ignored her and continued eating. Zeti (4 years old) was sitting by the side enjoying the food too. I want to emphasise, the 2 younger sisters never, I repeat never let go of Zeliah's shirt the whole time.

After food, we brought them up to our lecture hall and abandoned them in it plus we off all the lights too.**evil laugh** Nah, they watched movie while we scrambled back down to the atrium for food. I was actually concerned if they will be cold because when I am in the lecture hall, I always shiver even with a jacket. Anyway, when we reached the atrium no food was seen because our food haven't arrived yet and it was already 1pm PLUS there was no air-cond. For once, I wanted to be in a cold area and the only cold area to be seen and not invaded by other homo sapiens from my batch was the book shop. We acted as if we wanted to buy books and in the end we got some tips about which books to buy from few seniors in the book shop.

By 1.30pm, food arrived and well, we had nasi lemak. These nasi lemak only contains sambal, peanuts, cucmber, ikan bilis and a small teeny weeny slice of egg. I ate 2 packets and going to be so FAT!! After the lunch, we went back to the hall and watched Ratatouille with them. Well, I actually tried to get 90 winks but the seat was not suit to be a sleeping place. I wonder how those seniors sleep in class.

By 3pm, the movie ended and we brought our kids back to the atrium. We were sitting in the front row hence we were the first few to lead the rest back to the ground floor. The senior that lead us down used the escalator and I was so afraid for tiny Zeti. Suddenly, the escalator moved and some plastic thing chipped off and scrapped off some other plastic stuff. These plastic stuff are those black colour thing that we stand on and have yellow lines at the edge understand? The scrapping sound was so loud and all the kids and us panic. Thank goodness all 3 kids were reaching the end when that plastic scrapping sound got louder. Those who was not on the escalator yet in the end took the stairs. No casualties (thank goodness!!).

For kids from age 4 to 10 participated in colouring contest while age 10 to 12 participated in rocket making contest. Now, Zeti and Tasha I think was shocked and they started to cry again. Zeliah in the end gave up and sent her 2 sisters to the people that brought them to IMU. Then she went back and continued with her coloring. I took this opportunity to talk to her. Of course I did not ask her about her life but just normal things like what are her hobbies and all. Sadly to tell, she does not go to school, this was her 1st time out visiting places and she really enjoyed herself. Since Tasha and Zeti did not join the competition, my friend and I decided to colour for them and submit under their name.

After colouring and helping her write her name (she don't know how to write), she was running around freely playing with her friends while I chasing at the back. When I first introduced myself as her guardian, I told her that she cannot be missing from me. Hence every 30 seconds, she'll run back to me and say "Saya tak hilang ya". So touching!! During teatime, Zeti and Tasha came back and Tasha who did not touched her lunch was hungry and feeling better after few pieces of sandwich and a bowl of mushroom soup. They even smiled at me while eating!!

Prize giving ceremony was long and draggy because everyone has a prize-a small gold medal. When Zeliah's name was called, she was trilled!! After getting her medal, she ran back to me, hugged me and said thank you. Zeti and Tasha on the other hand was reluctant to get on the stage to retrieve their medal. Anyway, all well end well.

Before the kids left, PAKK kids went on stage and wished us all thank you. They even chant the verses that contains different languages of thank you. Besides that, Zeliah ran to me and gave me her salam, pull me down and kissed my cheek. Zeti and Tasha just gave me salam but it was all so touching. Appreciation!!!

In my opinion, this was a very fun and meaningful activity for us. I don't know about Pusat Sharlow but Ti-Ratana's children are definitely well off because I know they are really cared and given the best for everything. I visited Ti-Ratana a few times and these kids are really a bunch of fortunate people. I was really tired yet happy as I know I did a good deed. Ya, after this day, more of my friends made up their mind not to have kids too. LOL

ps: I was not the cause for Zeti and Tasha to cry and Zeliah has KUTU!!!!

No comments: